Skip to main content

Baked Parmesan Chicken


I sort of left you hanging with that cut up chicken before Christmas and nothing to do with it. Well here's something to do with it:  I've had this recipe for a long time. My Mom used to make it (what is with this nostalgia thing??). It is quite simple and makes an easy meal for a cold day. This was in the day when fresh herbs were not readily available and the garden herbs long used up but the recipe still holds up pretty well.

Baked Parmesan Chicken

1 whole chicken cut into 8 pieces
1/4 c olive oil
1 t dried basil
1 t dried garlic
1 t paprika
1 t salt
1/2 t pepper
1 T dried oregano
1 T dried onion
5 T grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 c white wine
Place chicken in a 13x9 pan. Pour oil over the chicken. Mix dry ingredients in a small bowl. Sprinkle 1/3 of the herb mixture on chicken and bake at 400 for 25 minutes. Turn chicken and sprinkle with 1/2 of the remaining herb mixture. Return to oven for another 25 minutes. Turn chicken over and sprinkle with the remaining herb mixture. Pour wine in the bottom of the pan (DO NOT pour over chicken). Bake for another 20 minutes or until done.

The skin gets really nice and crispy and it's quite flavorful. It's not heavy because there is no breading - just flavor. Served with mashed potatoes and a little vege - real basic comfort food.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waffled Hash Browns

I'm not that much of a fan of one-trick ponies taking up real estate in my kitchen. I know that a waffle iron can be classified as that, but now I can rationalize that it's not. Who knew you could make hash browns in it? Waffled Hash Browns (Adapted from Cooking Light ) 1 1/2 lb russet potato (shredded) salt/pepper to taste 1/4 t garlic powder 1 1/2T butter, melted Preheat waffle iron. Squeeze liquid out of potatoes by blotting between two paper towels. Toss potatoes, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Brush both sides of the waffle iron with butter. Spread potatoes evenly on waffle iron. Close and cook 2 minutes. Press iron closed completely and cook about 12 minutes or until golden brown. I did not feel that they browned as nicely as in the picture on the original recipe, but then again I don't have a food stylist do I? The drawback of this recipe is that you have to share this. Since they take about 15 minutes, it's a little difficult to make a second one...

Citrus Shortcake

In my mind, this cake is sort of a blank slate. The cornmeal gives it a little crunch but it is quite versatile. I drizzled a citrus icing on it this time around. I think there are many other things that you could do. You could macerate some berries in sugar and top the cake with them. I think some heated jam (orange, strawberry, or raspberry) drizzled over would be nice. I scoop of ice cream never hurt anyone. A dollop of whip cream never did either. I think you get the idea. Citrus Shortcake (Adapted from Cooking Light circa 2010) 3/4 c sugar 1/4 cup butter 2 eggs 1 T orange rind, grated 2T fresh OJ 1/2 t vanilla 1 c flour 2T cornmeal 3/4 t baking powder 1/2 t baking soda 1/4 t salt 2/3 c buttermilk Grease a 9" square pan set aside. Cream butter and sugar for 5 minutes in a mixer.  Meanwhile, combine dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl). Set aside. Add eggs one a time to butter mixture; beating well after ...

The Grappa Report

Star Anise, Cinnamon, Blueberry Once upon a time, we made Limoncello . We used straight-grain alcohol (which we had to buy in a different state because it was not sold it ours!). It was firewater. We tried to pawn it off on unsuspecting friends and relatives. It did not work. So when friends of ours said they wanted to share some Grappa that they had received from a friend, I was slightly suspicious. It was a little firewater-ish but not as much as the Limoncello. We decided to try to infuse it with some flavors - star anise, cinnamon, and blueberry. We got mixed results: Star Anise - was the most successful. It mellowed its sharpness.  Cinnamon - We left the cinnamon in for about a week. I think it was too long. It left a very woody taste. Perhaps, less infusion time would have given a better result. Blueberry - We thought if we mashed the blueberries, they would make the Grappa murky. So we first put them in whole. Nothing happened. We then cut them in half. The...