Skip to main content

Big Batch Brownies

I'm always trying new brownie recipes. Often I'm disappointed but sometimes I'm not. I'm a little on the fence about this one. The taste is delicious but the removal from the pan was a bit of a challenge.  What attracted me to this recipe was that it was a large batch. Often brownie recipes are in 8x8 pans not 9x13. This was a 9x13er.

Chewy Brownies (Adapted from America's Test Kitchen)

4 T butter (1/2 stick)
1/3 c cocoa
1 1/2 t instant espresso
1/2 c + 2T boiling water
2 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1/2 c + 2T canola oil
3 eggs
2 t vanilla
1 t chocolate extract
2 1/2 c sugar
1 3/4 c flour
3/4 t salt
6 oz bittersweet chocolate chips

Line a 13x9 pan with aluminum foil. The easiest way to do this is form fit a piece to the outside of the pan and then fit it inside. Grease the foil and set aside.
Melt the butter in a bowl. Whisk in the cocoa, espresso, and boiling water. Add the unsweetened chocolate and whisk until chocolate is melted. Add the oil. Add the eggs, vanilla, chocolate extract until smooth. Whisk in the sugar until thoroughly incorporated. Add the flour and salt with a spatula until combined. Fold in the chocolate chips. Place the batter in the pan and bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes; until a toothpick inserted comes out with a few moist crumbs attached. Cool for 1 1/2 hours. Removed foil sleeve from pan and cool for about 1 hour. Cut into squares.
I used this "unsweetened" chocolate:




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waffled Hash Browns

I'm not that much of a fan of one-trick ponies taking up real estate in my kitchen. I know that a waffle iron can be classified as that, but now I can rationalize that it's not. Who knew you could make hash browns in it? Waffled Hash Browns (Adapted from Cooking Light ) 1 1/2 lb russet potato (shredded) salt/pepper to taste 1/4 t garlic powder 1 1/2T butter, melted Preheat waffle iron. Squeeze liquid out of potatoes by blotting between two paper towels. Toss potatoes, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Brush both sides of the waffle iron with butter. Spread potatoes evenly on waffle iron. Close and cook 2 minutes. Press iron closed completely and cook about 12 minutes or until golden brown. I did not feel that they browned as nicely as in the picture on the original recipe, but then again I don't have a food stylist do I? The drawback of this recipe is that you have to share this. Since they take about 15 minutes, it's a little difficult to make a second one...

Citrus Shortcake

In my mind, this cake is sort of a blank slate. The cornmeal gives it a little crunch but it is quite versatile. I drizzled a citrus icing on it this time around. I think there are many other things that you could do. You could macerate some berries in sugar and top the cake with them. I think some heated jam (orange, strawberry, or raspberry) drizzled over would be nice. I scoop of ice cream never hurt anyone. A dollop of whip cream never did either. I think you get the idea. Citrus Shortcake (Adapted from Cooking Light circa 2010) 3/4 c sugar 1/4 cup butter 2 eggs 1 T orange rind, grated 2T fresh OJ 1/2 t vanilla 1 c flour 2T cornmeal 3/4 t baking powder 1/2 t baking soda 1/4 t salt 2/3 c buttermilk Grease a 9" square pan set aside. Cream butter and sugar for 5 minutes in a mixer.  Meanwhile, combine dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl). Set aside. Add eggs one a time to butter mixture; beating well after ...

The Grappa Report

Star Anise, Cinnamon, Blueberry Once upon a time, we made Limoncello . We used straight-grain alcohol (which we had to buy in a different state because it was not sold it ours!). It was firewater. We tried to pawn it off on unsuspecting friends and relatives. It did not work. So when friends of ours said they wanted to share some Grappa that they had received from a friend, I was slightly suspicious. It was a little firewater-ish but not as much as the Limoncello. We decided to try to infuse it with some flavors - star anise, cinnamon, and blueberry. We got mixed results: Star Anise - was the most successful. It mellowed its sharpness.  Cinnamon - We left the cinnamon in for about a week. I think it was too long. It left a very woody taste. Perhaps, less infusion time would have given a better result. Blueberry - We thought if we mashed the blueberries, they would make the Grappa murky. So we first put them in whole. Nothing happened. We then cut them in half. The...