Skip to main content

Sesame Noodles



Sesame Soba Noodles (Adapted from Back to Her Roots)

9.5 oz soba noodles
4 green onions
1/2 c cilantro
1/4 c sesame oil
2 T rice wine vinegar
2 T honey
2 T tahini
2 T toasted sesame seeds (optional)

Cook noodles until al dente (lean towards the firmer side) in salted water. Drain and rinse in cold water. In a large bowl whisk together the remaining ingredients. Toss with noodles.

I didn't have sesame seeds so I left them out - no biggie. It was still delicious without them. This is a quick and easy dish and the leftovers are great for lunch.

Let me tell you what happened when I went to boil the noodle. They came in a packet like dried spaghetti comes in. I slice off the end of the packet and dumped them in the water. Now I've bought them before and they've been in a box and usually they have a paper band around the middle. Well I didn't realize that these also had the band in the middle until they fell into the water. So I had to fish them out and remove the bands. No big deal but I was making a double batch so I had a second packet of noodles to cook. Needless to say some of my noodles were a little more cooked than what I wanted!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Citrus Shortcake

In my mind, this cake is sort of a blank slate. The cornmeal gives it a little crunch but it is quite versatile. I drizzled a citrus icing on it this time around. I think there are many other things that you could do. You could macerate some berries in sugar and top the cake with them. I think some heated jam (orange, strawberry, or raspberry) drizzled over would be nice. I scoop of ice cream never hurt anyone. A dollop of whip cream never did either. I think you get the idea. Citrus Shortcake (Adapted from Cooking Light circa 2010) 3/4 c sugar 1/4 cup butter 2 eggs 1 T orange rind, grated 2T fresh OJ 1/2 t vanilla 1 c flour 2T cornmeal 3/4 t baking powder 1/2 t baking soda 1/4 t salt 2/3 c buttermilk Grease a 9" square pan set aside. Cream butter and sugar for 5 minutes in a mixer.  Meanwhile, combine dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl). Set aside. Add eggs one a time to butter mixture; beating well after ...

Waffled Hash Browns

I'm not that much of a fan of one-trick ponies taking up real estate in my kitchen. I know that a waffle iron can be classified as that, but now I can rationalize that it's not. Who knew you could make hash browns in it? Waffled Hash Browns (Adapted from Cooking Light ) 1 1/2 lb russet potato (shredded) salt/pepper to taste 1/4 t garlic powder 1 1/2T butter, melted Preheat waffle iron. Squeeze liquid out of potatoes by blotting between two paper towels. Toss potatoes, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Brush both sides of the waffle iron with butter. Spread potatoes evenly on waffle iron. Close and cook 2 minutes. Press iron closed completely and cook about 12 minutes or until golden brown. I did not feel that they browned as nicely as in the picture on the original recipe, but then again I don't have a food stylist do I? The drawback of this recipe is that you have to share this. Since they take about 15 minutes, it's a little difficult to make a second one...

Mensa Member?

I think Mickey is a member of Mensa. We heard him last night but could not determine where he was in the kitchen (or should I say the Sous Chef could not locate him - I certainly was not looking). He had been lurking in the toaster cabinet the night before and averted the glue trap. This is absolute torture. Still no cooking going on.