Skip to main content

Chicago Eats

I found myself once again in Chicago and I was determined this time to eat at Shaw's Crab House. Last time we didn't have a reservation so we couldn't get a table. This time I cleared the evening with my niece and we made reservations. My niece and I independently came to decide on ordering the same thing. I'm talking appetizer and main meal. We both got the Lobster Bisque and the Parmesan crusted Haddock. They were both very good. I stole a few bites of the key lime pie for dessert. It was so good. Not that heavy-thick sweetened condensed milk nonsense. Real deal whipped cream too.

I had to go to Garrett's for popcorn. I was not in the mood for sweet so I decided to opt out on the caramel. I went for the cheese. I was going back and forth on the small or medium. I am so glad I got the small. I would have been feeling mighty sick if I had gotten the medium. As it was I didn't finish all of it.

I also hit up David's Teas. They had quite a selection of teas. I had a cup of Serenity Now steeped (and no I did not get that because of the Seinfeld reference*). I bought some of it to take home and also Coconut Ice and Lapsang Souchong for the Sous Chef. It's been too hot to test the other two out. I'm not a big fan of the Lapsang Souchong - it's a bit too smokey for me. I also realized that they have David's Teas right here in NYC. So I didn't need to travel to Chicago for this.


Lastly I hit up Pierogi Heaven. I opted for the potato and cheese and why not the bacon, onions and sour cream while I was at it. These were some really good pierogies. I went with the 6 piece version. However, while I was sitting there other people came in and got the 9 piece and ordered 2 different types. Why didn't I think of that? Especially since they had the fruit filling. They would have made a very nice dessert indeed.

 So that's the highlights from my Chicago trip.
Disappointing

The disappointment was Rick Bayless Tortas Frontera in the airport. I had high hopes - I know really??? for airport food?? It just goes to show you fast food is fast food and it's just not going to be quality no matter who makes it. I had the Tres Queso - three cheeses (Jack, goat and Cotija), with sun-dried tomato on a piece of bread. How bad can that be?  Pretty not OK. The bread was just typical fast food and yucky. It had no real redeeming qualities. The cheeses were also pretty nondescript. Overall it worked as filler but nothing more than that.

*And now for a little Serenity Now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waffled Hash Browns

I'm not that much of a fan of one-trick ponies taking up real estate in my kitchen. I know that a waffle iron can be classified as that, but now I can rationalize that it's not. Who knew you could make hash browns in it? Waffled Hash Browns (Adapted from Cooking Light ) 1 1/2 lb russet potato (shredded) salt/pepper to taste 1/4 t garlic powder 1 1/2T butter, melted Preheat waffle iron. Squeeze liquid out of potatoes by blotting between two paper towels. Toss potatoes, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Brush both sides of the waffle iron with butter. Spread potatoes evenly on waffle iron. Close and cook 2 minutes. Press iron closed completely and cook about 12 minutes or until golden brown. I did not feel that they browned as nicely as in the picture on the original recipe, but then again I don't have a food stylist do I? The drawback of this recipe is that you have to share this. Since they take about 15 minutes, it's a little difficult to make a second one...

Citrus Shortcake

In my mind, this cake is sort of a blank slate. The cornmeal gives it a little crunch but it is quite versatile. I drizzled a citrus icing on it this time around. I think there are many other things that you could do. You could macerate some berries in sugar and top the cake with them. I think some heated jam (orange, strawberry, or raspberry) drizzled over would be nice. I scoop of ice cream never hurt anyone. A dollop of whip cream never did either. I think you get the idea. Citrus Shortcake (Adapted from Cooking Light circa 2010) 3/4 c sugar 1/4 cup butter 2 eggs 1 T orange rind, grated 2T fresh OJ 1/2 t vanilla 1 c flour 2T cornmeal 3/4 t baking powder 1/2 t baking soda 1/4 t salt 2/3 c buttermilk Grease a 9" square pan set aside. Cream butter and sugar for 5 minutes in a mixer.  Meanwhile, combine dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl). Set aside. Add eggs one a time to butter mixture; beating well after ...

The Grappa Report

Star Anise, Cinnamon, Blueberry Once upon a time, we made Limoncello . We used straight-grain alcohol (which we had to buy in a different state because it was not sold it ours!). It was firewater. We tried to pawn it off on unsuspecting friends and relatives. It did not work. So when friends of ours said they wanted to share some Grappa that they had received from a friend, I was slightly suspicious. It was a little firewater-ish but not as much as the Limoncello. We decided to try to infuse it with some flavors - star anise, cinnamon, and blueberry. We got mixed results: Star Anise - was the most successful. It mellowed its sharpness.  Cinnamon - We left the cinnamon in for about a week. I think it was too long. It left a very woody taste. Perhaps, less infusion time would have given a better result. Blueberry - We thought if we mashed the blueberries, they would make the Grappa murky. So we first put them in whole. Nothing happened. We then cut them in half. The...