Skip to main content

Pumpkin Ice Cream


So we had one or two cool evenings and it got me to thinking about fall. What is fall but pumpkins and all sorts of comfort food. I had also told my niece about my ice cream making binge and she thought that pumpkin would make a pretty cool ice cream for Thanksgiving on top of pie. I like the way this girl thinks! So off I went...

Pumpkin Ice Cream

2 c heavy cream
3/4 c pumpkin puree
3/4 c brown sugar, packed
1 vanilla bean, split
1 c half and half
2 eggs
1 yolk
pinch ground clove
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t nutmeg
1/4 t ginger

In a medium saucepan combine heavy cream,  pumpkin puree, brown sugar, and split vanilla bean. The pumpkin will be a little lumpy at first so be sure to give it a good whisk. Heat over medium low flame until about 160.

Pour the half and half into a heat resistant bowl. Place a strainer over the bowl and then the bowl into a larger bowl of ice water. Set aside.

Whisk eggs and yolk in a small bowl. Slowly whisk some of the warmed heavy cream into the eggs. Pour egg mixture back to the heated heavy cream and return to heat. Cook, stirring continually, until slightly thickened and coats back of spoon. Strain through strainer. Scrape vanilla seeds from bean into mixture.  Whisk in clove, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger. Stir mixture until cooled. Chill in refrigerator several hours or ideally overnight (if you can wait that long!) Give it a good whisking before preparing ice cream according to manufacturer's directions.

So what do you think? Instead of pie? On top of pie?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waffled Hash Browns

I'm not that much of a fan of one-trick ponies taking up real estate in my kitchen. I know that a waffle iron can be classified as that, but now I can rationalize that it's not. Who knew you could make hash browns in it? Waffled Hash Browns (Adapted from Cooking Light ) 1 1/2 lb russet potato (shredded) salt/pepper to taste 1/4 t garlic powder 1 1/2T butter, melted Preheat waffle iron. Squeeze liquid out of potatoes by blotting between two paper towels. Toss potatoes, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Brush both sides of the waffle iron with butter. Spread potatoes evenly on waffle iron. Close and cook 2 minutes. Press iron closed completely and cook about 12 minutes or until golden brown. I did not feel that they browned as nicely as in the picture on the original recipe, but then again I don't have a food stylist do I? The drawback of this recipe is that you have to share this. Since they take about 15 minutes, it's a little difficult to make a second one...

Citrus Shortcake

In my mind, this cake is sort of a blank slate. The cornmeal gives it a little crunch but it is quite versatile. I drizzled a citrus icing on it this time around. I think there are many other things that you could do. You could macerate some berries in sugar and top the cake with them. I think some heated jam (orange, strawberry, or raspberry) drizzled over would be nice. I scoop of ice cream never hurt anyone. A dollop of whip cream never did either. I think you get the idea. Citrus Shortcake (Adapted from Cooking Light circa 2010) 3/4 c sugar 1/4 cup butter 2 eggs 1 T orange rind, grated 2T fresh OJ 1/2 t vanilla 1 c flour 2T cornmeal 3/4 t baking powder 1/2 t baking soda 1/4 t salt 2/3 c buttermilk Grease a 9" square pan set aside. Cream butter and sugar for 5 minutes in a mixer.  Meanwhile, combine dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl). Set aside. Add eggs one a time to butter mixture; beating well after ...

The Grappa Report

Star Anise, Cinnamon, Blueberry Once upon a time, we made Limoncello . We used straight-grain alcohol (which we had to buy in a different state because it was not sold it ours!). It was firewater. We tried to pawn it off on unsuspecting friends and relatives. It did not work. So when friends of ours said they wanted to share some Grappa that they had received from a friend, I was slightly suspicious. It was a little firewater-ish but not as much as the Limoncello. We decided to try to infuse it with some flavors - star anise, cinnamon, and blueberry. We got mixed results: Star Anise - was the most successful. It mellowed its sharpness.  Cinnamon - We left the cinnamon in for about a week. I think it was too long. It left a very woody taste. Perhaps, less infusion time would have given a better result. Blueberry - We thought if we mashed the blueberries, they would make the Grappa murky. So we first put them in whole. Nothing happened. We then cut them in half. The...