Skip to main content

Chilled Coconut Corn Soup

OK - I admit I was a little lazy with this soup. I didn't run it through the blender, I just used my stick blender and you know what?  It tasted the fine! It might not have looked the same but it tasted just fine AND I used frozen corn. I do think this would have tasted better with fresh corn but sometimes you have to make due with what you have.

Chilled Coconut Corn Soup (Adapted from Epicurious)

2T  coconut oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 1/2 t grated ginger
1/4 t tumeric (ground)
6 ears of corn, removed from cob and cobs (about 5 1/2 c or frozen corn)
1 potato, 1/2" cubes
14oz coconut milk
zest of 2 limes
1 1/2 c water
3T lime juice
cilantro, lime wedges, coconut chips or toasted coconut for garnish
salt/pepper

Melt coconut oil in large pot. Add onion, ginger, tumeric, and salt.  Cook until onions are translucent - about 10 minutes

Add corn, cobs, potato, coconut milk, lime zest, and 1 1/2c water. Bring to a boil on high heat and then lower to a simmer. Simmer until potatoes are tender - 20-25 minutes.

Discard corn cobs. Place soup in blender add additional water if needed. Cool and then refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Stir in lime juice. Garnish as desired.

I didn't dally too much with the garnishes. I just used the coconut chips. The coconut flavor is a little subtle but the lime juice really does the trick. A nice wedge of bread and you've got a nice meal.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waffled Hash Browns

I'm not that much of a fan of one-trick ponies taking up real estate in my kitchen. I know that a waffle iron can be classified as that, but now I can rationalize that it's not. Who knew you could make hash browns in it? Waffled Hash Browns (Adapted from Cooking Light ) 1 1/2 lb russet potato (shredded) salt/pepper to taste 1/4 t garlic powder 1 1/2T butter, melted Preheat waffle iron. Squeeze liquid out of potatoes by blotting between two paper towels. Toss potatoes, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Brush both sides of the waffle iron with butter. Spread potatoes evenly on waffle iron. Close and cook 2 minutes. Press iron closed completely and cook about 12 minutes or until golden brown. I did not feel that they browned as nicely as in the picture on the original recipe, but then again I don't have a food stylist do I? The drawback of this recipe is that you have to share this. Since they take about 15 minutes, it's a little difficult to make a second one...

Citrus Shortcake

In my mind, this cake is sort of a blank slate. The cornmeal gives it a little crunch but it is quite versatile. I drizzled a citrus icing on it this time around. I think there are many other things that you could do. You could macerate some berries in sugar and top the cake with them. I think some heated jam (orange, strawberry, or raspberry) drizzled over would be nice. I scoop of ice cream never hurt anyone. A dollop of whip cream never did either. I think you get the idea. Citrus Shortcake (Adapted from Cooking Light circa 2010) 3/4 c sugar 1/4 cup butter 2 eggs 1 T orange rind, grated 2T fresh OJ 1/2 t vanilla 1 c flour 2T cornmeal 3/4 t baking powder 1/2 t baking soda 1/4 t salt 2/3 c buttermilk Grease a 9" square pan set aside. Cream butter and sugar for 5 minutes in a mixer.  Meanwhile, combine dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl). Set aside. Add eggs one a time to butter mixture; beating well after ...

The Grappa Report

Star Anise, Cinnamon, Blueberry Once upon a time, we made Limoncello . We used straight-grain alcohol (which we had to buy in a different state because it was not sold it ours!). It was firewater. We tried to pawn it off on unsuspecting friends and relatives. It did not work. So when friends of ours said they wanted to share some Grappa that they had received from a friend, I was slightly suspicious. It was a little firewater-ish but not as much as the Limoncello. We decided to try to infuse it with some flavors - star anise, cinnamon, and blueberry. We got mixed results: Star Anise - was the most successful. It mellowed its sharpness.  Cinnamon - We left the cinnamon in for about a week. I think it was too long. It left a very woody taste. Perhaps, less infusion time would have given a better result. Blueberry - We thought if we mashed the blueberries, they would make the Grappa murky. So we first put them in whole. Nothing happened. We then cut them in half. The...