Skip to main content

Chocolate Blackout Cake


Whenever I make this cake, it is always a hit. It looks very impressive but is pretty easy to make. I had a work do and decided I hadn't made it in a while and it needed to be made. (Sorry no pictures of the inside - you know I had to bring it work without it being sliced).


Chocolate Blackout Cake (Adapted from 365 Great Chocolate Desserts)

1T cocoa powder
1 1/2 stick butter
3 c sugar
3 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
3 c flour
3 eggs
1t vanilla
1t chocolate extract (optional)
4oz chocolate, bittersweet, melted
3/4 c buttermilk
1 c boiling water

Ganache
18oz semisweet or bittersweet chocolate
1 1/2 c heavy cream
2 T butter
1 t vanilla

3/4 - 1 c sliced almonds

Grease two 10" round pans. Place parchment round in bottom of each pan. Dust with cocoa powder. Shake out excess; set aside.

Cream butter and sugar together in mixer until light and fluffy. Meanwhile, in a separate bowl mix together flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. Add eggs one at a time to sugar mixture. Add slightly cooled melted chocolate; mix until combined. Add vanilla and chocolate extract. Add flour mixture in two batches alternating with buttermilk. Beat until blended. Slowing stream in boiling water. The batter will be thin. Pour into pans and bake 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool 10-15 minutes and then remove from pans.

While cakes are baking, prepare chocolate ganache. In a 2qt dish, combine chocolate and heavy cream. Microwave until chocolate is melted and smoothed when stirred. It is best to do this in 30 second bursts. Stir in butter and vanilla. Cover and refrigerate 1 - 1 1/2 hours until ganache holds its shape and is thick enough to spread on cake.

After cake is completed cooled, place one layer on dish. Cover with about 1/3 of the ganache. Place second layer on top and frost top and sides with remaining ganache. Press almonds into side of cake. Refrigerate 3-4 hours until ganache is firm.

Be careful when adding the boiling water. The batter is very liquid and often sloshes out of the bowl (even with the mixer on low). The recipe originally used 9" rounds but I found it rose too high and overflowed out of my pans. I supposed if you had deep pans, it might work, but I found the 10" works nicely.

The cakes may have a slight indent in the middle, but don't worry a little ganache will fill it in nicely. The indent was a little more than usual this time. So I sprinkled a few finer pieces of almond on top (slick ain't I?)  I'm starting to wonder if something has changed with the ingredients. This is from an "old" cookbooks circa (1996). It uses the technique of boiling water to active the baking soda - similar to my sunken chocolate pound cake. That seems to be more sunken than I remember also. Hmmm - I'm noticing a pattern here. I'm determined to get these recipes to work because the cakes are so tasty. I will have to experiment and investigate further (what a sacrifice to have to make and eat chocolate cakes).

This cake is really rich thanks to the ganache, so cut thin slices (even for me). A nice glass of cold milk and you are all set.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waffled Hash Browns

I'm not that much of a fan of one-trick ponies taking up real estate in my kitchen. I know that a waffle iron can be classified as that, but now I can rationalize that it's not. Who knew you could make hash browns in it? Waffled Hash Browns (Adapted from Cooking Light ) 1 1/2 lb russet potato (shredded) salt/pepper to taste 1/4 t garlic powder 1 1/2T butter, melted Preheat waffle iron. Squeeze liquid out of potatoes by blotting between two paper towels. Toss potatoes, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Brush both sides of the waffle iron with butter. Spread potatoes evenly on waffle iron. Close and cook 2 minutes. Press iron closed completely and cook about 12 minutes or until golden brown. I did not feel that they browned as nicely as in the picture on the original recipe, but then again I don't have a food stylist do I? The drawback of this recipe is that you have to share this. Since they take about 15 minutes, it's a little difficult to make a second one...

Citrus Shortcake

In my mind, this cake is sort of a blank slate. The cornmeal gives it a little crunch but it is quite versatile. I drizzled a citrus icing on it this time around. I think there are many other things that you could do. You could macerate some berries in sugar and top the cake with them. I think some heated jam (orange, strawberry, or raspberry) drizzled over would be nice. I scoop of ice cream never hurt anyone. A dollop of whip cream never did either. I think you get the idea. Citrus Shortcake (Adapted from Cooking Light circa 2010) 3/4 c sugar 1/4 cup butter 2 eggs 1 T orange rind, grated 2T fresh OJ 1/2 t vanilla 1 c flour 2T cornmeal 3/4 t baking powder 1/2 t baking soda 1/4 t salt 2/3 c buttermilk Grease a 9" square pan set aside. Cream butter and sugar for 5 minutes in a mixer.  Meanwhile, combine dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl). Set aside. Add eggs one a time to butter mixture; beating well after ...

The Grappa Report

Star Anise, Cinnamon, Blueberry Once upon a time, we made Limoncello . We used straight-grain alcohol (which we had to buy in a different state because it was not sold it ours!). It was firewater. We tried to pawn it off on unsuspecting friends and relatives. It did not work. So when friends of ours said they wanted to share some Grappa that they had received from a friend, I was slightly suspicious. It was a little firewater-ish but not as much as the Limoncello. We decided to try to infuse it with some flavors - star anise, cinnamon, and blueberry. We got mixed results: Star Anise - was the most successful. It mellowed its sharpness.  Cinnamon - We left the cinnamon in for about a week. I think it was too long. It left a very woody taste. Perhaps, less infusion time would have given a better result. Blueberry - We thought if we mashed the blueberries, they would make the Grappa murky. So we first put them in whole. Nothing happened. We then cut them in half. The...