Skip to main content

Egg Salad & Fresh Mayo

Egg salad is a simple thing to make.  You boil the eggs, smash them up, throw in some celery and onions, and add some mayonnaise.  But OH NO that would be too simple for me and it really wouldn't taste as good either.  I prefer to make my own mayonnaise and at least I know what is going into it.  It is so easy. It was a nice addition to the Brunch.

Mayonnaise

1 egg
1 T Dijon mustard
1 T vinegar (or lemon juice)
1 shallot
1 clove garlic
salt/pepper
variety of fresh herbs, basil, parsley, thyme, or tarragon
approx 3/4 - 1 c oil (canola or olive)


Place all the ingredients except for the oil in a food processor. Buzz until mixed.  With food processor running, drizzle oil through chute. Once you start to hear a glug, glug sound, you have added enough oil.  Taste and adjust seasoning by adding either more acid, salt, or a pinch of sugar.
Olive oil herbed mayo

I used olive oil this time for the egg salad. It gives it a little more of a greenish color but it adds a lot of flavor.  Now I know there is some risk of eating raw eggs but it is a pretty low risk. I feel the risk is worth it (spoken like a true person who has never had salmonella). Yes I tell my guests I use raw egg - just in case they want to opt out.  Besides I tasted it the day before I served it and didn't get sick. If you feel that you don't want to take the risk, then use pasturized eggs.

Remember this from the vegetable bread entry?  Now you can really see how cute the bread forms come out.
Green eggs and no ham?

Here's the egg salad using the herbed mayo. Between the herbs and the olive oil, the egg salad has a little greenish hue to it but it was delicious!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waffled Hash Browns

I'm not that much of a fan of one-trick ponies taking up real estate in my kitchen. I know that a waffle iron can be classified as that, but now I can rationalize that it's not. Who knew you could make hash browns in it? Waffled Hash Browns (Adapted from Cooking Light ) 1 1/2 lb russet potato (shredded) salt/pepper to taste 1/4 t garlic powder 1 1/2T butter, melted Preheat waffle iron. Squeeze liquid out of potatoes by blotting between two paper towels. Toss potatoes, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Brush both sides of the waffle iron with butter. Spread potatoes evenly on waffle iron. Close and cook 2 minutes. Press iron closed completely and cook about 12 minutes or until golden brown. I did not feel that they browned as nicely as in the picture on the original recipe, but then again I don't have a food stylist do I? The drawback of this recipe is that you have to share this. Since they take about 15 minutes, it's a little difficult to make a second one...

Citrus Shortcake

In my mind, this cake is sort of a blank slate. The cornmeal gives it a little crunch but it is quite versatile. I drizzled a citrus icing on it this time around. I think there are many other things that you could do. You could macerate some berries in sugar and top the cake with them. I think some heated jam (orange, strawberry, or raspberry) drizzled over would be nice. I scoop of ice cream never hurt anyone. A dollop of whip cream never did either. I think you get the idea. Citrus Shortcake (Adapted from Cooking Light circa 2010) 3/4 c sugar 1/4 cup butter 2 eggs 1 T orange rind, grated 2T fresh OJ 1/2 t vanilla 1 c flour 2T cornmeal 3/4 t baking powder 1/2 t baking soda 1/4 t salt 2/3 c buttermilk Grease a 9" square pan set aside. Cream butter and sugar for 5 minutes in a mixer.  Meanwhile, combine dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl). Set aside. Add eggs one a time to butter mixture; beating well after ...

The Grappa Report

Star Anise, Cinnamon, Blueberry Once upon a time, we made Limoncello . We used straight-grain alcohol (which we had to buy in a different state because it was not sold it ours!). It was firewater. We tried to pawn it off on unsuspecting friends and relatives. It did not work. So when friends of ours said they wanted to share some Grappa that they had received from a friend, I was slightly suspicious. It was a little firewater-ish but not as much as the Limoncello. We decided to try to infuse it with some flavors - star anise, cinnamon, and blueberry. We got mixed results: Star Anise - was the most successful. It mellowed its sharpness.  Cinnamon - We left the cinnamon in for about a week. I think it was too long. It left a very woody taste. Perhaps, less infusion time would have given a better result. Blueberry - We thought if we mashed the blueberries, they would make the Grappa murky. So we first put them in whole. Nothing happened. We then cut them in half. The...