Skip to main content

French Toast



Here's all the food from Easter
UGH - I have such a food hangover. Too much food! I guess I'll start off with one of the richer foods we had yesterday.  This is so ooey, gooey. I got this recipe from my sister-in-law's sister.  It is so totally unhealthy and probably has little nutritional value (I mean we're using potato bread here) but it is so good. Why not? It's only once a year - or maybe twice? This is one of the standard fare items for Easter Brunch.  I also like to make it for Christmas morning.  While we're opening the gifts, I just pop it into the oven.

French Toast

2 T corn syrup
Before Baking
1 c brown sugar
1 stick butter
12 slice potato bread
6 eggs
1 1/2 c milk
1 t vanilla
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t nutmeg

Heat corn syrup, brown sugar and butter until syrupy.  Pour into a glass (you have to use glass) 13x9 pan.  Place 6 slices of bread over mixture, cutting slices as necessary to fit.  Top with remaining slices, alternating the pattern. In a bowl, whisk eggs, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg.  Whisk in milk.  Cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate overnight.  Bake at 350 for 45 minutes-remove foil halfway through cooking. Take a deep breath and flip out onto serving platter (this is the scariest part of the whole recipe).

Mine didn't flip so good this time - that's why you're only seeing a corner of it
You really have to use potato bread.  Although I've never tried another bread, I don't think other bread would work.  The potato bread soaks up the liquid like a sponge. Maybe a brioche might work? I've tried other "overnight" French toast recipes and this is the best one so far.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waffled Hash Browns

I'm not that much of a fan of one-trick ponies taking up real estate in my kitchen. I know that a waffle iron can be classified as that, but now I can rationalize that it's not. Who knew you could make hash browns in it? Waffled Hash Browns (Adapted from Cooking Light ) 1 1/2 lb russet potato (shredded) salt/pepper to taste 1/4 t garlic powder 1 1/2T butter, melted Preheat waffle iron. Squeeze liquid out of potatoes by blotting between two paper towels. Toss potatoes, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Brush both sides of the waffle iron with butter. Spread potatoes evenly on waffle iron. Close and cook 2 minutes. Press iron closed completely and cook about 12 minutes or until golden brown. I did not feel that they browned as nicely as in the picture on the original recipe, but then again I don't have a food stylist do I? The drawback of this recipe is that you have to share this. Since they take about 15 minutes, it's a little difficult to make a second one...

Citrus Shortcake

In my mind, this cake is sort of a blank slate. The cornmeal gives it a little crunch but it is quite versatile. I drizzled a citrus icing on it this time around. I think there are many other things that you could do. You could macerate some berries in sugar and top the cake with them. I think some heated jam (orange, strawberry, or raspberry) drizzled over would be nice. I scoop of ice cream never hurt anyone. A dollop of whip cream never did either. I think you get the idea. Citrus Shortcake (Adapted from Cooking Light circa 2010) 3/4 c sugar 1/4 cup butter 2 eggs 1 T orange rind, grated 2T fresh OJ 1/2 t vanilla 1 c flour 2T cornmeal 3/4 t baking powder 1/2 t baking soda 1/4 t salt 2/3 c buttermilk Grease a 9" square pan set aside. Cream butter and sugar for 5 minutes in a mixer.  Meanwhile, combine dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl). Set aside. Add eggs one a time to butter mixture; beating well after ...

The Grappa Report

Star Anise, Cinnamon, Blueberry Once upon a time, we made Limoncello . We used straight-grain alcohol (which we had to buy in a different state because it was not sold it ours!). It was firewater. We tried to pawn it off on unsuspecting friends and relatives. It did not work. So when friends of ours said they wanted to share some Grappa that they had received from a friend, I was slightly suspicious. It was a little firewater-ish but not as much as the Limoncello. We decided to try to infuse it with some flavors - star anise, cinnamon, and blueberry. We got mixed results: Star Anise - was the most successful. It mellowed its sharpness.  Cinnamon - We left the cinnamon in for about a week. I think it was too long. It left a very woody taste. Perhaps, less infusion time would have given a better result. Blueberry - We thought if we mashed the blueberries, they would make the Grappa murky. So we first put them in whole. Nothing happened. We then cut them in half. The...